During this period of crisis surrounding the COVID-19 the Monks of New Skete must make adjustments to our puppy application process. The changes are as follows:
1. The June 1st on-line application should be filled out only by individuals who will be able to take a puppy during 2020.
2. Anyone expecting to receive a puppy in 2021 must wait to apply on November 2nd.
3. All puppies must be picked up at the monastery. Clients must follow all federal and state travel guidelines in effect at the time you come to pick up your puppy. You may arrange for a puppy pickup through a third party transport company at your own expense. The monastery cannot make travel arrangements.
4. All paperwork will be accomplished via the Internet in advance of picking up a puppy.
5. All payments must be by credit card in advance of picking up a puppy. Invoices and payments will be via the Internet.
6. At present and on the day of a puppy pickup we cannot offer tours of the monastery, breeding facilities or meet the parent dogs.
We regret that such measures need to be instituted at this time, but we hope progress in combatting the virus will bring all of us closer to normal before the end of the year. Your safety and that of the puppies is a priority.
We appreciate your understanding.
The Monks of New Skete
New Skete accepts applications for puppies twice a year.
We accept a limited number of applications.
The application must be completed and submitted online.
We are a small monastery and operate a small breeding program. Mother Nature can be fickle and we never know how many puppies will be born.
The wait time can be from 6 months to 2 years.
New Skete puppies are socialized. They are handled from an early age and introduced to different people and situations. More about socializing can be found in our book “The Art of Raising Your Puppy.” They are not house (potty) trained.
At present, the cost for a New Skete German shepherd puppy is between $4,200 and $4,700. This is subject to change without notice.
Our next application period we will be on
The June 2020 application is ONLY for people looking to purchase a puppy in 2020.
When an adult dog is retired from the breeding program, he/she is then placed in a loving home for the rest of his or her life.
The breeding program at New Skete is small and the availability of retired adult dogs does not occur often.
At present, the cost for an adult New Skete Shepherd is between $8,500 to $10,000. This is subject to change without notice.
Adult dogs have completed the New Skete Dog Training program.
At this time we are not accepting adult dog applications.
Instructions on Applying